I haven’t blogged much lately, and, to be honest, I haven’t been in the mood.
Here’s what my state is considering for teachers for the next biennium:
- a 3% cut in salaries across the board,
- the freezing of salary steps,
- the elimination of National Boards stipends,
- over $2 billion in cuts to education overall,
- the elimination of salary increases for advancing education (i.e. master’s degrees),
- larger class sizes across the boards,
- evaluations connected to budget reductions, and
- the legislature almost connected student attendance to individual building funding.
I updated my resume two nights ago and then spent two hours researching international schools. I’m starting to consider seriously going elsewhere to teach. All I see here is bad leadership, poor policies, and disrespect.