A few stats from the WEA website to consider:
- Washington is dead last in average compensation among West Coast states.
- Washington’s average classroom teacher salary rank drops from 5th to 20th place.
- The average Washington classroom teacher has lost almost $200,000 in salary over the past 30 years.
- Washington ranks 3rd worst in class size out of 50 states and Washington, D.C.
- Washington ranks 44th in the nation for per-pupil spending.
- Washington lost over 2,600 K-12 public school employees in 2009-10 due to state budget cuts.
- 34 percent of Washington’s teachers are eligible to retire soon