Here is my to-do list for Friday:
– Get to school by 7:30
– Finish putting up my wall hangings (the “happy wall” is finished – yea!)
– Send out union notices (need to set up a meeting with the building reps to coordinate who will represent which faculty members)
– Avoid the Boss Lady
– Meet with another teacher about my first time as an adjunct professor in the high school (my new class – woo-hoo!)
– Lunch! (and avoid the Boss Lady)
– Finish my online history course (I’m almost finished with the final project)
– Dinner with a retired teaching couple I love
– Prepare for my parents’ visit
I’m on the local union’s executive board as the high school’s main representative. The previous one is now in another union position, but he was (unjustly) attacked by the Boss Lady because he would not allow violations of our contract to go unnoticed. He would ensure that proper procedures were followed, which did not allow Boss Lady to cut corners or slight staff members and programs. This, of course, means I am now in the crosshairs of the Boss Lady, and I’m curious when she will let me know I’m in her sights.
Regardless, I’m looking forward to this year. I’ve got kids already (we start Sept. 4) e-mailing me, teachers coming in early to ask questions and collaborate, and the union president showing me the history of the current issues. I’m learning lots and getting giddy to begin.
Today I read all of my notes and cards from kids, which really gets me motivated. I keep everything and fill my wall behind my desk, reading each card and note as it’s posted. I love seeing all those smiling faces on the wall. What a way to get me inspired. At least I know I had a few successes. 🙂
Let’s do it!