I recently went to see James Cameron’s Avatar (in 3-D no less) and was visually awed. In my lifetime few movies made me feel like I had seen a change in cinema, but there have been a few: Star Wars, Aliens, Jurassic Park, and Lord of the Rings.
After watching Cameron’s groundbreaking movie, I reflected on themes that could be turned into lessons by using clips of Avatar. Here are a few ideas I came up with:
- the preservation of the planet,
- the connectivity of all life on Earth,
- the western expansion of the Americans into Native American territories,
- the bully tactics of larger nations against smaller nations in acquiring desired resources,
- word choices (in particular, the ore sought is called “unobtainium”),
- the idea of the white savior aiding the people of color,
- a dependence on technology versus a life living off of natural resources,
- military and diplomatic tactics/solutions, and
- how this film is actually a love story.
I’m sure there are more themes in the film, but these are my initial thoughts. Any ideas from the film that you think could be added to the list? Any ideas you think don’t work? Let me know.